Monday, May 19, 2008

I Detest the Advocate's Comments System!!!

This is just a rough draft. The Advocate comments system, to me, is a mess. Not only is it full of rambling fools, there’s no “click here to have follow up comments sent,” so if I want to keep tabs on a discussion, I can’t. (Don’t subscribe to comments—that’s what they call it-- for an immigration article, because those all get 40 “send the illegals home” comments.)

I don’t know if it’s just that the Advocate has too wide of an audience to get a meaningful discussion started, or if... if... I just know that I have not had any meaningful interactions or learned a damn thing from the Advocate comments that they now put at the end of all articles. How can I keep up with 8 articles that I comment on if there is no follow up email system? Am I going to BOOKMARK all of those sites and check them the next day? NO!

I tried to install commentful on my computer to keep track of my comments and it didn’t work. I didn’t feel like asking my computer genius husband for help. Anyway, people shouldn’t have to download applications to keep track of comments. Publications and websites should do it for us. One reason I love blogger is that you, dear reader, after you comment, can click the “Click here to have follow up comments sent to (your email).” That way you’ll know when someone responds to you, and you can respond back, and they’ll know you commented again because they also subscribed to the comments feed by clicking that button.

See?

No comments: